Saturday, December 15, 2012

... on another incredible bloom.

About six weeks ago, a cactus that had hitherto been sitting doing absolutely nothing on the little metal table on our deck started to do... something. I wasn't sure what it was up to, so I took a photo.
Slowly slowly slowly, something emerged from one of the little pink spiky things. It took a very very very long time. A bud!
One morning the bud showed signs of imminent action. Over the course of the day it creaked itself open, and by late afternoon a lovely bunch of yellow stamen-y things were revealed.
Night fell. Very early the next morning I went outside to take a look. Far out!
What a beautiful monster! It was as big as my hands, cupped, and had the most lovely and subtle sweet scent. That little cactus worked on this beauty for six weeks!
... and it lasted for only one day.

Nonetheless, that cactus has leaped upwards in my estimation! Thankyou little cactus!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great photos ... I especially love the one at the end.

Kylie said...

Wow, that's a beauty!

Hot Fudge said...

That is nothing short of incredible Emily. Who would have thought that a little cactus could produce such a magnificent flower? I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.